Sydney Ancients Hoplite & Roman Society
Sydney Ancients are a re-enactment group of the ancient world. Our current focuses are Classical Greece, Early Republican Rome and 1st Century Imperial Rome. The group interest covers all facets of ancient life including military and civilian activities.
Training is usually held on the 1st Saturday of each month at Paramatta park (next to Rangers Hut near Rose Garden near main enterance). Official start time is 1:00pm, but usually most members arrive between 12:30-1:00pm.
Advisable to bring water to drink and food for refreshment.
Please note that dates & theme are subject to change so check the calendar for updates.
If training is cancelled due to wet weather it will be reschedule for the following week.
For wet weather cancellations a decision will be made by the Friday night prior to training. An email will be sent to members and the website updated. If in doubt email email@example.com no later than 11am on the day.
- 26 January (Australia Day weekend Annual Wine Dine and Recline dinner. Details to be advised.
- 9 February - Static display at the Australian Museum for the Alexander Exhibition College Street Sydney (details to be advised) Note: no training due to display.
- 16 March (postpond from 2 March due to wet weather) Roman drill & Gladiator training
6 April Greek drill- CANCELLED TO NEXT WEEK due to wet weather
- 13 April Greek drill - rescheduled from last week
- 20-21 April Lithgow Ironfest (informational reference for those that wish to attend)
- 4 May Roman drill & Gladiator training
- 25/26 May Ancients Assembly Lismore NSW (No. 1 General Stubbs Drive
Rosebank NSW 2480) The time period is 1250bce-400ace (informational reference for those that wish to attend)
- 1 June Greek drill
8-9 June (long weekend) History Alive Fort Lytton Brisbane Qld (for information only)
6 July Roman drill & Gladiator training
3 August Greek drill
7 September Roman drill & Gladiator training
21-21 September Apollon Boedromia (run by Hoplitikon Melbourne) details to be announced
5 October Greek drill and planning for Poppean
19-20 October Poppean camping weekend (details to be announced) Theme is Greek
- 2 November Roman drill & Gladiator training
- 7 December Greek drill then casual picinic lunch in costume (BYO food, drink, utensils etc). -
2014 (Dates, times & themes to be announced)
- 25 January 2013 Australia Day weekend Annual Wine Dine and recline. Details to be advised
- 8 February (note one week later due to WD&R) Greek Drill
Greek and Roman cultures are portrayed between 500BC and 100AD.
Our members do Greek Hoplites in Phalanx and Light Infantry, as well as Roman Legionaries of the early Republic and Imperial eras. We are a confederation of individuals that encourages all type of Re-enactment in the ancient world. So if you are interested in representing Hoplites, Alexander the Great, Roman Army or Phalanx warfare or just interested in re-enacting ancient life, we'd love to here from you.
The group does a range of activities from living history campsite to military drills and re enactment of the duties of Classical soldiers. The group also conducts authentic athletics,cooking, games and cultural activities of the period 500BC to 100AD.
All activities are conducted with safety as the first priority. Many of the weapons are blunted for safety reasons. No participant is to conduct any activity that will endanger themself or any other person. While armed no person will consume or partake of performance altering substances.